Feeling stressed and not sure what to do about it? Try some of these anxiety-relieving tips!
- Slow, deep breathing from the diaphragm. Inhale for a count of four, hold for seven, exhale for 8.
- Muscle relaxation. Lie down with your arms by your side, and slowly work your way from feet to head by tensing and relaxing each muscle group: feet, legs, belly, hands, arms, neck & shoulders, face.
- Mindfulness. Pick up a piece of fruit and look closely at it. How would you describe it to someone? What does it smell like? Bite into it slowly. What sound does it make? What is the texture like? Eat it slowly. What does it taste like?
- Exercise. Go for a walk or a swim. Try yoga. Play a sport you enjoy.
- Socialise. Ring or text a friend. Post something to social media. Commit a random act of kindness for someone. Volunteer.
- Modify your senses. Literally smell the roses, or try some essential oils like lavender, bergamot, lemon, frankincense, sandalwood. Pop some gum or mints into your mouth. Find something nice to look at (no screens!). Pat an animal, or stroke some luxurious fabric, or pop some bubble wrap. Put on some music – check out “Weightless” by Marconi Union on Youtube.
- Massage. If you can’t pay for one, bribe a family member to do it, or give yourself a foot massage with some peppermint lotion.
- Bath. Have a warm bath with some Epsom salts for a magnesium boost, or lavender oil, or throw some chamomile tea bags in there!
- Colouring in. A mindfulness technique that uses your focus and creativity to release worries.
- Sunlight. Get outside! Vitamin D only stays active in the blood for 24 hours, so you may need a boost.
- Water. Get hydrated! Also, a recent study found people who lived near water were more likely to feel happy with their life, so a trip to the beach/lake/river might be in the cards.
- Gratitude. Keep a diary of things that you’re thankful for, things that make life worthwhile. It helps put the stress in perspective.
- Diet. Skip the fried food, booze, dairy, sugar & caffeine. Instead, up your intake of oily fish like sardines or tuna, eggs, poultry, oats, soy, tofu, beans, leafy greens, peaches, blueberries, bananas, and citrus.
- Take supplements. Ask your doc or pharmacist about Vitamin D, Magnesium, Folate, Omega-3, L-Theanine, or B Vitamins.
- Practice your spirituality. Take the time to reconnect, however that looks for you.
- Crystals. Wear a howlite, amber or rose quartz bracelet, and stroke the stones to remind yourself to relax.
- Get organised. Commit those worries to paper by creating a to do list. Write a list of goals – for the week, year, decade. Brainstorm solutions to problems by writing down every idea you can think of. If need be, burn the paper afterwards!
Click here for a printable version of this list to hang on your fridge or wall as a daily reminder!